Let’s start off by clearing up any confusion between branding and marketing. Think about it this way, marketing is what you do, branding is what you are. Considerations about the overall brand of your company, the perception the public has, the presence it has in the related industry come together to establish a unique identity. This identity’s goal is to attract and retain loyal customers. One of the ways to accomplish this is through successful branding of your business.
Branding Your Business: How to Start
Defining your brand is a journey of business self-discovery. How do you go about creating a brand? Ask yourself some of the following about your company:
- What’s the one word you would use to describe your company/organization? Why?
- What’s the one word your customers would use to describe your company/organization? Why?
- Do you have a logo? How long have you had it?
- What do you want your customers to think when they see your logo?
- What is your company’s mission statement?
- Do you have a tagline or slogan?
- What do you want your company to be known for?
- Does your company use the colors, fonts, etc. consistently throughout printed and online materials?
Consider your brand as the promise you make to your customer. Effective branding can solidify and unify your business, articulating simply all that you want to communicate. Creating a successful brand strategy identifies and differentiates your company and/or product(s) from the others. It is how you eventually connect and keep customers. Their loyalty to your brand is key to your success.
For related branding your business topics and news, Entrepreneur offers a great variety of articles. Branding is an opportunity to create something with lasting impact. Branding is how you tell your story, and it is absolutely vital to your success and the survival of your business.